Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Stream of Consciousness: Family


Author's Note: This is a simple stream of consciousness that I composed. I struggled with this one, most likely because I had just come from a break, and I sort of needed to get back in the groove. It was hard for me to not stop, think, and start again with this piece, which is not something a stream of consciousness is designed for. Still, I enjoy the metaphor that I included in this piece and I am pleased with the overall concept.
 
Tough knowing the absolute depth of how much we love them -- the people we love. Immeasurable, immensely untouchable. Yet do we show this love that is forever beating, so strongly, with such passion, in our hearts? So easy, it is, to take this love, these people we love, for granted. The most simple actions or tasks become thousands of pounds strapped upon our back, as we make no attempt to forge ahead. The wind whips at our face, warning us, but we stay sitting, resting at the bottom of the mountain in the storm. Isn't our love, this love that is so strong and immeasurable, and immensely untouchable, supposed to aid us on what should be a weightless, non-burdened journey to the peak of the mountain? Perhaps it should. Perhaps this is how it should be. Perhaps we should take our own selfish desires out of the equation and just help -- be there for one another. Because after all, isn't this what family is for each other? Perhaps it should be.  

2 comments:

  1. I like this quite a bit actually. As I read, I wondered a little about the form though. I wondered if you should write this as a poem. I wondered if you ever listen to me. I wondered if you don't enjoy being some of the poundage I have to carry each day as I try to ascend the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pondered writing it as a poem, too. Then, I decided not to. I didn't want to spend too much time with this piece. Do I ever listen to you? Yes, only on things that matter. I'm selective. And are you trying to say I'm a burden to you?

    ReplyDelete